Bad travel stories

Discussion in 'Travel, Points & Rewards' started by Chris_Bosh, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Chris_Bosh

Chris_Bosh OH MY BOSH!!! V.I.P. Lifetime

I looked through all four pages and I didn't find this thread idea. If you have any bad travel stories then please share them with us in this thread. I have atleast one but I'll mention it after I see a few replies.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I had to sit next to a very overweight man on an airplane once. Not only was he taking up a lot of my space, which made things very uncomfortable, but he smelled really bad too. If you're that large, you should have to pay for two seats.

3. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

If this is fresh, it's a great thread idea. I'm almost sorry that I have no bad travel stories to share, unless you count the athlete's foot and diarrhea I picked up in Leeds.

idisrsly likes this.
  4. Chris_Bosh

Chris_Bosh OH MY BOSH!!! V.I.P. Lifetime

On my first ever flight I was going to Sweden which ended up being a 16 hour flight from where I departed to where I landed. Throughout the flight I didn't drink much liquids neither did I talk to anyone. I landed in Sweden at the Airport I had to go through Customs(I think that's what it was...like i said it was my first flight so I dont remember very well) and the guy that was at the gate hardly spoke any english but he ask me what I was doing in Sweden, and i started to talk and realized I lose 95% of my voice so I could hardly answer his question. But I did the best I could and after 2 minutes of starring me down he finnaly let me through. I was so scared that he wasn't going to let me in the country lol.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

6. KSpiceFantastic

KSpiceFantastic Haters gonna hate.

My family and I lost our luggage on the way to Venice, but we got it back rather quickly. That's the only really bad story I have for you.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Ah yeah, disappearing luggage, that happened to me too. The airport got it back to us by the next day but it was returned to the hotel one by one with about an hour or 2 in between each without ever actually confirming they had all the cases (there was 3 of us). Talk about suspense. :lol:

Anyway, I've never really had any bad travel experiences. That probably is the closest.

8. Dragon

Dragon Happy Thanksgiving! V.I.P. Lifetime

The airline lost our luggage. We were stuck in Newark for night and they put us up in a hotel so we just had to wear the close we had on. We got back home thinking the luggage will be there but it wasn't. Called up the airline and a few days later, someone from the airline came and dropped off our luggage.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

The worst one for me was being on a car ferry from Dunkirk to Dover(usually a 2and a bit hour crossing), their was a storm brewing and the seas were pretty rough, by the time we got to Dover the storm had picked up and they had closed down due to the gale force winds and severe waves hitting the port. So for the next 6 hours we bobbed up and down a mile or so off shore as we waited for a port to open....oh and did I mention there was a storm!! I've never been on a boat that has listed so much and every couple of minutes even on the top decks you would feel the waves slamming into the hull. I was not ill but a lot of passengers were.

I also remember a family holiday when I was about 8 or 9 years old to Cyprus, we got to the airport and just before boarding the plane was delayed, so we waited and we waited, after a few hours they confirmed the plane was some technical issues and the plane would be delayed another 8 hours, but as we had already checked in they would not let us leave the airport which was rather annoying considering our house was just a 5 minute drive from the airport. That was not a good start to the holiday.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  10. shiffersmith

shiffersmith New Member

Well i am travel lover i often travel across the world and during journey i faced many bad experience but,but that's just part of traveling,i normally ignore that and enjoyed my tour.:nod:

11. QuilloftheBard

QuilloftheBard New Member

I agree with Sheffersmith- all the stories, good and bad, make up a trip. I remember being in Joburg as a stop off from a week diving in Mozambique. The team I went with all took flights home to Cape Town, but I was determined to take the 22 hour train home just because I could. (I love long rides!) However the train didnt leave until the next day so I had to wait and stay at a backpackers. In the morning I asked the front desk to call me a cab - instead he called his friend who will do it for half the price! I was unaware of this until an old jalopy pulls up in front and its got three guys in it already and an open trailer hitched to the back. I was piled in, my backpack tossed in this trailer and they started to drive. All the guys speak Zulu and I had nooo idea what was going on. The driver kept telling me "we drop him off then you" over and over again. I'm there thinking "well, I had a good run, my time is up". The driver pulled in front of a house, the two guys got out and start unhooking the trailer and rolling it away - with my bag! I freak out and the driver is like "Oh yeah!" and they ran it back to me. I got to the train station safely - the driver even walked me to my platform and talked with me until my train comes! Even though it was the most harrowing drive of my life, I ended up meeting a great person who made the whole thing worthwhile.
    Lesson? Bad trips are often the most memorable. I like it that way; think of it as an experience!