Compare Obama's first year vs Bush first year?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

People are quick to jump on Obama about having a bad year, and I agree everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

But compare George Bush Jr first year as President of the United States to Barack Obama's first year.

Who had the better year?

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

It's a little hard to judge for a couple of reasons. 1) While the economy was in a but of a lull, it wasn't anywhere near the economy was in when Obama took over. My guess would be that if Bush inherited this same economy he would have done a worse job than Obama has done. 2) Bush had 9/11 which was the worst domestic attack. The public rallied around him and his job approval rating went through the roof. That was an artificial reflection on the job he had done thus far.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

One thing you forget BR, is that Obama was heralded as some amazing beacon of change, some incredible force that was just going to get everyone a blowjob and a thousand dollars. Or at least, that's what his campaign and his followers promised. His whole campaign slogan consisted of two words, 'hope' and 'change' and they worked because we voted Bush into office once but got him for 8 years anyways. Obama was riding the hype wave and now people are realizing he wasn't such a fascinating choice either.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I imagine the better question to ask would be grade George Bush last year compared to Obama's first year.

Both had economy crisis to deal with.

I know this isn't part of the thread, but I'm just curious on why people are so hard on Obama? Cons mentioned in two threads now that Obama promised "Change and Hope", and hasn't really delivered as of yet. Is that the main reason why their not really giving this guy a chance even though it's only his first year.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I would say they were both pretty bad.

My problem with Obama is I have a fundamental disagreement with his politics, not that I don't want to give him a chance. I don't believe his stimulus spending is the answer (at some point the economy is going to bounce back and there will be people crediting it), I don't believe in the government interfering with our health care, and I don't believe in higher taxes. They're all failures regardless of the party of the guy that passes them.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

What president doesn't promise change? Few deliver. Not much will ever change until the two party system is overthrown.

On-topic: I have no idea. I think you have to look at presidencies as a whole and not just one year at a time. The situation Obama inherited is a lot different than the one Bush inherited nine years ago.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Heart of the Tempest V.I.P. Lifetime

Bush's First year in office:

-Cut almost $850 Million dollars in excess spending
    -Proposed a $2 Trillion dollar tax cut
    -Signed a bill making it more difficult to file Bankruptcy
    -Earmarked $4 million to go to Halfway houses and other prevention programs
    -Proposed a $1.2 million dollar Pro-Alternative Energy bill
    -Rallied after the 9/11 attacks

Obama's First year

-Won Nobel Peace Prize
    -Spent $787 billion on Stimulus package
    -Spent $700 billion on bailouts
    -Spent $450 million on other Government Programs
    -Mentioned he liked the idea of legalizing Marijuana

~~~~~~~~~

In my opinion, Both sides could look horrible depending on what side of the spectrum you're on. Bush made cuts in areas that we were "fat" in, I personally like that. Obama spent money in areas he felt we "lacked" in, I believe thats what the Private Market is for.

There are always good points and definitley bad points. But if you asked me, I'd say with the way I was raised and the way I look at politics... Bush had a much better first year.

I feel the importance is in George Washingtons farewell speech. He warned the US of three things, #1) Beware the power of the Political Party... #2) Avoid the temptation of growing national debt... #3) Do not get tangled in the mess the messes overseas

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. Merc

Don't play dumb, you know what I mean :cool:

Obama's selling point was the word itself, his whole campaign was nothing but promises of change and he's done the complete opposite. He's changed nothing. When a guy gets hyped as much as Obama did and comes through on nothing, you have to call it.

9. Major

You are blaming Obama for the hype the media put on him.

10. Merc

Were you asleep during 2008?

Yeah, poor Obama, so helpless and totally not a part of promoting himself at all.

:rolleyes:

11. Major

But isn't self-promotion something every campaigning politician does? I mean, that's the very definition of a campaign. Or am I completely missing your point? It just seems to me Obama did a better job of campaigning than McCain did.

12. Merc

I don't know how to repeat this so that it will make sense, it seems pretty clear to me. Obama capitalized on the national feeling of "fuck the conservatives, let's do something else" and went with "Change" as his campaign slogan. Obama became something of a rockstar because hey, holy tit burgers it's a black guy! Imagine that, a black president and he's a liberal! They're not conservatives, this will be great! Everywhere you looked, there were "Change" signs and audiences donning the gear. Anytime Obama was on TV or in the media, it was about how he was going to change this and "yes we can" that.

Yes, duh, all politicians promise change. Obama wore it like a suit, that's the difference. When someone is so hyped for something we all expect to bullshit with, we tend to believe them because of how hard they're pushing it. Problem is, the only thing that has changed is unemployment rate and US debts.

13. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

To be honest, I've been more than a little appalled at American (and Canadian too, but for different reasons) politics as of late. We're a little over a quarter through the term, and half the country is already convinced he's Satan incarnate. Up till this point you've got the Republican party being the fat kid pouting in the corner with his arms crossed saying "I doan wantz to pway no more," and I just can't help but wonder if Obama could actually do anything over the last year. And now we have this new Senator in the news, and people swearing to block out every word Obama speaks --> I can't even stand to read the comments people leave on internet news articles anymore, calling for violence; here I thought we left the dark ages behind us.

I've never even considered myself an Obama supporter, but Jesus people, lets let the guy at least get to the downslope of his term before we decide he deserves the death penalty. :urp:

Edit/Afterthought: I see this post probably would have been better suited for another thread...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010