How to piss off a Liberal

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by SmilinSilhouette, Jul 6, 2010.

1. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Disagree, use facts to support your position, point to the failed prior attempts to implement their agenda and the devastating results?

Or is it the same as Conservatives? Use any bad example of someone who claims to share their beliefs to stereotype, demonize, and dismiss them avoiding the debate altogether and any reasonable competition in the arena of ideas.

Your thoughts?

2. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Registered Member

Remember, in the lemonade thread, when I said that we have more in common and that some people just try to further the divide?

Yeah, you're being that guy. :sigh:

BigBob likes this.
  3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Well, to be fair I think his target is Con's thread, that the author of that article somehow impugns all conservatives.

4. SmilinSilhouette

@ Unity: I hope that you may see, upon further reflection, that I am not that guy. While it may seem that I am that guy, you may notice that I try to point out the same thing that you did: that many of us share the same core values and it is usually the debate regarding the best path forward where we disagree. While I do post many objections regarding the direction we are going, and vehemently so, I try to not impugne all with whom I do not agree. But I'm not perfect. Maybe some of the recent exchanges with Sim will refresh your memory, or "'Is Conservatism Extreme?" and I think that all of our (you & me) interactions have been civil and respectful, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

@ CO: as always you get my point.

5. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

An easy way to do it is to use common sense. It works wonders believe me.

SmilinSilhouette likes this.
  6. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Registered Member

I understood the point of reacting to Cons' thread, SS (and we definitely have a good discourse here, and I appreciate it). I just think that those of us that can just debate the issues and still be civil need to be the bigger men and women at the end of the day. Just what I'd hope MD could be.

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I think you misinterpreted his point (I did too, at first).

He's saying that you can piss off both liberals and conservatives by picking bad examples of a their political leanings, and using them as an supposed example of everyone of a similar affiliation.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So . . just so I get this right . .

You decided to make a separate spam thread, in MD, with no actual topic outside of debating another thread that isn't closed and you could have responded to. I guess I'm just . . confused. Also, the thread title wasn't "All conservatives are lame" I was referencing this one dude who was so insulted by a few little girls giving away lemonade that he wrote an article on a website about it.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

You didn't title the thread "How to piss off Terry Savage". You titled it "How to piss off a Conservative", which implies it would work on most (if not all) conservatives.

Maybe you're right, maybe this thread doesn't belong in ST. But I think the overall direction of the discussion, even if not handled quite right, is important enough to leave in MD.

10. Jeanie

Jeanie nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I didn't read the thread that inspired this thread, but I don't see the benefit of discussing peoples' debating styles, particularly when you're making generalized assumptions based on the actions of one or a few individuals.

11. SmilinSilhouette

@ Cons: Call it spam if you like, but I don't feel that way. This thread was not intended to debate your free lemonade thead. Had I joined that thread I would have taken it off topic.

My point is the constant, continuous, and inaccurate use of negative stereotypes to demonize, discredit, and dismiss those with whom you (and not just you, Cons) disagree. This tired technique utilized to smear conservatives and stifle any real debate is getting really old. I am especially sick and tired of the "Conservatives hate: black" comments. This is completely in line with the inaccurate and ugly stereotype that conservatives are racist, bigot, homophobes etc etc etc ad naseum. Not so long ago when I joined GF one of the first infractions I got was for the comment: "Typical liberal technique: throw the race card" decrying this technique yet when the negative stereotypes are applied to conservatives on a regular basis it seems to be quite acceptable here.

12. Jeanie

Jeanie nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

But see, what you're doing is pretty much the same thing that you're complaining about. "Liberals can't see logic". It's not as ugly or hateful of a statement as generalizing about what all conservatives hate, but it's still a broad generalization and has no place in serious discourse.

13. SmilinSilhouette

Um, no I'm not Jeanie. If I thought that my point would only resonate with conservatives there would have been no reason to post. What I'm trying to do in engage the empathy in all to put themselves in the position of having their opinions categorically dismissed based upon some irrevelant stereotype instead of the merit of the argument. If I believed that liberals can not see logic then this would all be pointless.
    ------
    @ Unity: You may also notice the format of the OP:

How to piss off...
    (first choice)

Or is it?
    (second choice)

Granted, loaded and divisive 1st choice, something that we may find in common 2nd choice. But it is those whom choose to reply that get to decide how to address the question.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

:shocked:
    I know I shouldn't be surprised by this anymore (not just from you), but you contradict yourself one sentence after the other. The left side of my face is still drooping and numb.

So you stereotype all liberals as people who don't see reason and complain because they stereotype others? I'd LOVE to see the rhetorical gymnastics behind this one.

I've always seen the merits of conservatism and small government. Agree with quite a few of them, but NOT the Republican party. Or the Democrats for that matter.

Sim likes this.
  15. SmilinSilhouette

@ Gavic: Please note my reply to Unity then let me know where you think I have stereotyped and/or contradicted myself and I would be happy to explain. Also, please point me to where I have said "liberals don't see reason"