Rick Santorum: All abortion is wrong . . . except for my wife

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Okay so this isn't the freshest news (June 13th) but I thought this was worth posting since Santorum is a likely candidate for POTUS.

A clearly unbiased source

I don't know why this wouldn't have changed his mind in the least. His wife was going to die, he made the impossibly difficult decision to save her and lose the child. I can't imagine the pain he and his family went through but that can happen during pregnancy. Yet, he remains staunchly against ALL forms of abortion.

Ignoring the blatant hyperbole and partisan nature of the article itself, I think the meat of the story should bother more Americans. Rick Santorum doesn't care about your wife, but he's allowed to break his own beliefs to save his. I mean, he even alluded to it, he loves his wife and therefore it's different.

Do people really like this kind of attitude from their leaders? Kind of reminds you of all the politicians against free healthcare who are on free taxpayer-fueled healthcare already, right?

2. Merc

Bump?

This doesn't bother more people? That if it was your wife, he would tell you 'deal with it' but if it's his wife it's okay? This kind of selfish attitude is just fine with American republicans?

3. shelgarr

shelgarr Registered Member

People learn from their mistakes....or the mistakes of their wife.....or smarten up about their viewpoints as they age. Telling a woman to "deal with it" is exactly what should be done. Step up! You already gave your body away when you shared it. Deal with the consequences. Yes, it's hard, yes there are changes and risks, but it'll be over in 9 months.

4. Merc

You know that a baby is born in 9 months, right? It's not exactly 'over' :lol:

On the one hand I agree that people need to learn to handle their consequences much better than they do now, but saying "just deal with it" is not entirely what this is about. Abortions can be necessary to save a woman's life as with Santorum's. He is saying that he doesn't care if your wife dies, he only cares about his. So basically, he can break his own proposed laws because it's in his best interest.

5. shelgarr

Normally those that choose to abort don't want the child meaning they would likely choose to give it up for adoption (or at least I hope). No one likes that people could risk their life in childbirth....yet same woman risks her life contracting STDs, or walking across the street.

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Shel - the fact that other risks exist doesn't make these risks okay.

IF Mr. Santorum is really as bad as the article portrays, then he's a hypocritical moron. Just like hundreds of politicians and millions (if not billions) of people :dunno:

7. shelgarr

I'm pointing out that citing risks as a reason not to carry a baby full term isn't relevant. Risks occur everyday, and it doesn't make us stop living and experiencing.

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

It does if you're carrying a fetus that if you don't get rid of it that you're going to die.

9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/ar...afe-and-legalbut-only-when-his-wife-needs-one

Dan Savage had written a blog about this, and it's my understanding this is where this "source" got it's information. Savage has manned up and disabled the link because he can't find anything to substantiate the "labor-induced" story or anything to substantiate the claim of what he said about his wife and "I don't even know your wife's name".

Wasn't there some complaint about Fox News doing stuff like this and some assertion that only THEY do stuff like this?

Hiei likes this.
  10. C-Mach

C-Mach Registered Member

This just affirms Rick Santorum's arrogance. In the recent Fox News Iowa Republican debate, Santorum said this about Ron Paul:

He could have explained why Paul was mostly wrong, but he didn't. He just said it matter-of-factly. His arrogance will derail him.